Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 20:36:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters), grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), chat@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD advocacy list)
Subject:   Re: Book chapter on BSD published in Salon

> > Actually, some of the other chapters get into that more. The author has
> > a strong pro-Linux bias, and characterizes the BSDers as academics who
> > could develop software and coordinate their own projects but could not
> > evangelize, promote, or market.
>
> Which may even be true.  But he is in no way unfair to the BSD's, and
> he is widely read among linux people and I think this is an excellent
> "awareness" article for that audience.  If more people get interested,
> more people start using it.  I don't see what you're complaining about.

His history is not 100% correct, and it's going to potentially
hurt BSD in the long run to have lots of people believing it
because it's now "common knowledge".

The Linus commentary is really unfair to Linus (c.v. the discussion
about source code control, also in this thread).

Unfortunately, correcting this could be even more injurious
to BSD, so I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.