Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:40:42 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <Shane@007Marketing.com>
Subject:   Re: Slow apache response

On 17/8/05 8:57 PM, "Eric Anderson" <anderson@centtech.com> wrote:

> Shane Ambler wrote:
>> I am running a traffic exchange site and have just moved to a dedicated
>> server (new server has been running 15 hours).
>>
>> Server is a P4 1.8G with 1024MB RAM
>>
>> Pages seem to be loading slower than the previous virtual server account but
>> looking at top shows idle% to stay above 80
>>
>> The mysql backend is located off the server and has not changed in any way
>> when the web server changed.
>>
>> Wusage reports show upto 10,000 hits an hour for the end of yesterday and up
>> to 18,000 hits a few hours ago. (these are the new server stats)
>>
>> One thing that has me curious is apache is started with 150 servers (which I
>> am fine with) and currently I count 178 instances of apache running - but in
>> top all but a couple show their state as lockf which I can't find a
>> reference to.
>>
>> Apart from apache there is sendmail and ssh running (and the basics such as
>> tty's, cron and syslog)
>>
>> All pages are php.
>>
>> Any ideas on how I can get response times up?
>
> What state are the running httpd processes in (not the ones in lockf)?

I'm seeing sbwait select kqread

> Also, did you compile apache from ports, or install via package, or other?

The hosting provider (webair) installed from their own package

Server version: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)
Server built:   Feb 10 2005 12:34:22

If you are wondering about me asking them I have root access which to get I
agreed to take full responsibility for admin etc.

> Have you tried bumping up the number of servers to 200?
>
> Can you send the output of:
>
> netstat -m
> uname -a
>

> netstat -m
131/784/26624 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        110 mbufs allocated to data
        21 mbufs allocated to packet headers
103/304/6656 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
804 Kbytes allocated to network (4% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines
> uname -a
FreeBSD mission.webair.com 4.11-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE #0: Tue Aug 16
10:19:30 EDT 2005     root@mission.webair.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/asck1
i386

I compiled the kernel removing most device options and adding ipfw

--

Shane Ambler
Sales Department