Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 2014 17:59:58 -0700
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anthony Williams <anthony@ury.york.ac.uk>
Cc:        "jenkins-admin@freebsd.org" <jenkins-admin@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-java@freebsd.org" <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Jenkins and PAM problem with JNA 4.1

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Anthony Williams <anthony@ury.york.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Craig,
>
> Sorry for the delay in responding - my university course has been taking
> up much of my time and I'm finally catching up with emails.
>
> I'm glad that I could be of use in getting this issue fixed - it's been
> interesting learning bits of maven and Jenkins along the way.
>
> I'll go ahead and close PR https://github.com/jenkinsci/jna/pull/2 once
> your fix hits the main release (1.586 you think?).
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

Anthony,

You can go ahead and close out your pull request.
I have confirmed that my fix to update Jenkins to JNA 4.1
is in the Jenkins code and will be in 1.586.  It is in the 1.586 changelog.

See:
http://jenkins-ci.org/changelog  (Click on Upcoming Changes)

I also downloaded a Jenkins nightly build and confirmed
that this fixes libpam4j on FreeBSD.   With this fix, I can now use Unix
logins
with Jenkins.  I've closed out these two Jenkins bugs:

"libpam4j problem under FreeBSD 10"
https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-21507

"Update jna from 3.3.0-jenkins to 4.1.0 (or newer)"
https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-24521

I took your initial patch to JNA version 3.3.0-jenkins, and I
went one step further and submitted fixes to upgrade Jenkins core
to use JNA version 4.1.  JNA version 4.1 had fixes for FreeBSD,
but it turns out that the newer JNA had fixes for Windows,
Linux/arm, Linux/powerpc and other platforms.  I think the Jenkins community
was more interested in that, than fixing FreeBSD, but at least
by fixing Jenkins for FreeBSD, I fixed other platforms also. :)

The Jenkins developers are very nice people, and were quite
easy to work with in terms of accepting patches.

On the freebsd-testing@freebsd.org mail alias, we are trying to get more
people to help with testing FreeBSD.   We need help with Jenkins and Java,
Python scripting, libvirt, devops/systems administration, libvirt,
and writing test scripts.

Thank you very much for pointing out the problem and suggesting
a fix.  Your contribution really helped a lot.  I hope that you have time
to keep
involved with FreeBSD and can help out with future things.
If you have any time or interest in helping out in any of the areas
I mentioned for testing, please feel free to contribute!

Thanks again!
--
Craig