Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:53:36 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] what do we do with picobsd ?

On Tue, 2006-Jan-31 10:52:24 -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>I know it is not ideal to have a piece of code in the main tree
>that depends on an external port. Yet, better than have it broken.

>2. commit the updated script, fix one or two sample targets,
>   and remove the others (all of this is in src/release/picobsd)

"make release" requires mkisofs and includes a perl and a python
script (though I'm not certain they are needed).  Given this,
I think option 2 is acceptable,

>3. remove the entire src/release/picobsd tree and move it to
>   a port (question - do we want the old content of src/release/picobsd
>   in ports/foo/picobsd/files ? In any case, we need a place in
>   some repository to store these things)

The picobsd CVS tree is 5.8MB so a repocopy would not be out of the
question.  A checked out version of src/release/picobsd is currently
688KB and there are two ports with files directories larger than that
(and a third that only slightly smaller).  There is also a precedent
for having the port "sources" in the files directory.

I think the biggest killer for option 3 is that the ports tree is
not branched so paralleling RELENG_x source trees would be "difficult".

--
Peter Jeremy