Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 21:07:03 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        article@daemonnews.org
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD NewsFlash: High-speed router research

Copyright &copy; 1998 Wes Peters

An article entitled "High-Speed Data Paths in Host-Based Routers" in
the November 1998 issue of <I>Computer</I>, the journal of the IEEE
Computer Society, details research into high-speed network routing.

The researchers, Simon Walton, Anne Hutton, and Joe Touch, describe
their research into speeding the deliver of packets from one network
interface (NI) to another.  Their research network included high-
speed Myrinet NIs and switches from Myricom, and test workstations
and a routing host comprised of 200 Mhz PentiumPro processors running
FreeBSD 2.2.5.

"We found that as a host-based router, the hosts provide bandwidths
near 335 Mbps using existing production drivers and the FreeBSD
software."

Once again, the quality and reliability of the BSD networking stack
has been recognized in a leading-edge research project.

[Editorial note, not for publication in Daemon News: this is startingly
close to the work I do at my "day job", where I am working on an
enhancement using new hardware to do basically what is described in
this paper.  The difference is, we have a lot of dedicated hardware
to help us with this, and we can switch almost any kind of physical
layer traffic.]