Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2015 00:23:11 -0453.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Storage question

On 09/08/15 16:12, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 15:00:45 -0453.75
> William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>

>> I am prepping to bring 2 new FreeBSD 9.3R boxen online. I am trying
>> to figure out how large to make root & usr partitions to make most
>> effective use of storage. To that end, I did the following:
>>

>> find / -xdev -maxdepth 3 -type f -exec ls -lSrF {} +
> It's easier to see the usage if you use:
>
> du -xhd1 /
>
> and then work down.

[root@kabini1, /etc, 3:38:34pm] 445 % du -xhd1 /
4.0k    /.snap
4.0k    /home
512B    /dev
244k    /libexec
  10G    /var
4.0k    /mnt
   6M    /sbin
4.0k    /tmp
8.6M    /lib
600M    /boot
5.7M    /etc
   0B    /proc
5.2M    /rescue
  38M    /root
1.2M    /bin
4.0k    /usr
  14k    /media
512B    /net
512B    /host
  32k    /.amd_mnt
312M    /compat
  11G    /
[root@kabini1, /etc, 12:18:08am] 446 %

& I think we may have a winner :-) !!!! *Wow*, 10 GB (out of 11-ish) in
/var. I knew it could get porky, but no idea that bad (& consistent w/
other replies showing *very* small root dirs & astutely sized other
partitions). A bit more thinking required here :-) .... Thanks for *all*
replies thus far & continuing :-).

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."