Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:20:09 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015446010.a814ee@mired.org>
To:        anderson@centtech.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSSCA (Was: DVD+RW)

Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > That worm is already turning. Take a look at SSSCA, which exists
> > because the DMCA isn't sufficient. If that becomes law, it could be
> > illegal to buy a Windows PC and install FreeBSD on it. It might also
> > be illegal to buy a PC without a pre-installed OS on it.
> EEK! that sounds horrible.. I can't imagine that going anywhere tho.

Well, I couldn't imagine DMCA going anywhere, either. But this comes
from the same people who gave us the DMCA, with the same gigabuck
funds, and basically gives it more teeth. If you haven't read it, it
makes it illegal to sell any device that can display, store or copy
digital content that doesn't include some kind of copyright protection
scheme (*); to modify such a device so as to defeat said scheme; to
tell someone how to make such modificiations; or to do research on
copy protection schemes in general.

*) It's not retroactive; any device manufactured before some date that
is later than the signing can be legally sold whether or not it has
such a copyright protection scheme

I've heard it claimed that this is the *minimum* needed to prevent the
wholesale theft of any digital content.

	<mike