Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:25:57 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <don@PartsNow.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, perhaps@yes.no, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 1997 at 01:53:16AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > As I remember, the prayer experiment was very well prepared. The
> > > pray-ees didn't know they were being prayed for, and the pray-er's
> > > didn't know who they were praying for, except a first name and a general
> > > description of the problem. The groups were statistically equal, and
> > > relatively large. If I remember [too many bosses whizzing past FTL,
> > > Amancio], there were a total of 400 in the study.
> >
> > How can you seperate the telepathy theory from the God theory with this
> > set up?
> >
> > The researchers should have lied about the names, or given only number,
> > and/or not stated the symptom(s).
>
> This one is GOOD.  I'd have liked them to pray by number, with the
> number referencing a random list mapping to names stored in a computer
> somewhere, and with about half as many numbers as there were people.
>
> God is allseeing, rigth?  Then the complex mapping should be
> inconsequential.

I agree there's room for more experiment. It did make it into the
'Journal of the AMA' and they're almost as rigorous as 'Science' before
they will allow anything that even hints at 'quakery' into that rag. I
found numerous references to this study; it's commonly quoted.

> OTOH, I don't claim to know God's mind (if he exists).  He might
> refuse to participate in such a complex experiment, thinking it shows
> a lack of faith.

The Bible certainly gives references to support _that_ confounding
conundrum. The Bible says He expects us to believe by faith alone, and
my responses from Him in my personal life experiences seem to
corroborate that. Doesn't say we shouldn't use our best 'scientific'
judgement to _guess_ what's coming next, though... :)

--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *