Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 20:10:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: docs/33582: i386 Release notes make no mention of AMD/Cyrix Processor support

The following reply was made to PR docs/33582; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To: <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: <bug-followup@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 20:06:09 -0800

 I would change the sentence to:

 All AMD processors are also supported, from the Am486 and Am5x86 up through
 the K5, K6, Athlon, and Duron processors.

 to:

 All AMD i386-compatible processors are also supported, from the Am486 and
 Am5x86 up through the K5, K6, Athlon, and Duron processors.

 This covers you in case AMD sometime in the future releases some non-standard
 variant.  AMD is currently pushing the "Athlon XP Processor" which is claimed
 to have "special features" that support Windows XP.  I doubt that these
 special
 features (ie: enhanced support for software modems, etc.) are going to be
 of much use to us for a while.

 We probably need to put something in there on the status of the 64 bit port -
 perhaps a pointer to http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ia64.html but that page
 is pretty old too.