Date:      Tue, 04 Dec 2001 13:24:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: WARNS granularity

On 04-Dec-01 David O'Brien wrote:
> IMO our WARNS values {0,1,2} are not granular enough.
>
> I would like to make 1 ==> -Werror only.  This would help prevent
> regressions with sources that do not produces warnings with the default
> GCC warnings.
>
> WARNS=2 would add:
>         -Wall
> I think having a WARNS level that is just -Wall is useful as -Wall is the
> most common thing GCC users compile with if they use any warnings at all.
>
> WARNS=3 would be the same as today's `1', which adds:
>         -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
>         -Wno-uninitialized
>
> WARNS=4 would be the same as today's `2', which adds:
>         -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow
>
> Objections?  Improvements to the idea?

Since -Wno-uninitialized actually turns off some warnings, I think you would
want it in WARNS=2 as well.  One question: is the WARNS thing intended to be
compatible with some other OS?

Oh, and -Wcast-align looks like it could be useful in tracking down those pesky
alignment faults on non-i386, so putting that in WARNS=4 might be useful.