Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:01:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk
Subject:   Re: cvsup confusion

In article <20010221104227.A8439@tethys.valhalla.net>, Mark Drayton
<mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk> wrote:

> I wrote a small script to cvsup stable, ports and doc every
> couple of days by running cvsup <supfile> > <logfile> for each
> collection. Somehow this script appears to have 'gone wrong' leaving
> several copies of cvsup running at once. Is running more than one
> copy of cvsup at once likely to have damaged /usr/src or /usr/ports?

I don't know whether it would mess up your files or not, but it's
definitely something that won't work right in general.  Check out
cvsup's "-l" option in the cvsup man page to keep this from happening.
Or run it under lockf(1).

> Sorry if these are common questions - I searched the archives but
> couldn't find anything.

Searching the archives is fine.  But don't forget, there's a great
big manual page too.

John