Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:21:16 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        Luke McHale <lam89@tamu.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Netmap support for Linux Containers (veth)

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Luke McHale <lam89@tamu.edu> wrote:
> Hello Dr. Luigi Rizzo and netmap contributors,
>
> I am looking to integrate netmap capabilities into linux=E2=80=99s veth (=
Virtual
> Ethernet device) for netmap support within linux containers.  Does a patc=
> currently exist?  If not, do you have any intuition as to what it would t=
ake
> to add netmap capability?  I am new to the netmap framework and I would
> appreciate any help you can provide toward patching veth for netmap.

we do have an initial version of netmap support for veth (Linux; in
FreeBSD would be epair),

Hopefully we will be able to complete and distribute the veth code shortly.

If you are not familiar with netmap internals it may be easier to wait
for our code than start developing your own.

As a temporary workaround you can surely use VALE switches or
netmap pipes to connect different containers.

cheers
luigi