Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:15:16 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 06:13:42PM +1300, Craig Harding stood up and spoke:

> It's a matter of history. After so many endless threads over the last
> few years on the evils (or otherwise) of the GPL, usually with Brett
> Glass endlessly pushing his point of view to allcomers, I think you'll
> find that most people subscribed to -chat are heartily sick of the
> subject.

Interestingly, looking back, have the past discussions of this issue
actually changed anything or have they had any important influence on the
Project? I guess not. These threads were probably no more than a little
wasted bandwidth.

As I have said in a message posted a minute ago, I don't see any immediate
dangers. And I take for granted that no one is seriously about to transform
FreeBSD into GNU/Linux. Therefore, everything's fine and this discussion
may well stop here. Especially a month before a release, I guess we have
better things to do: The coders should fix code, the users should test
code, the writers should do any remaining work on the documentation. That
would do much more help to the project than this GPL discussion, especially
since at the moment it seems that we have really no problems to face in
this regard (and I'm not going to tear the GPL apart as others have done.
Subjective impressions are useless, only objective impressions count, and
we are not going to get such a thing here any time soon - luckily, as about
the only place to get a definite objective interpretation of something is
in Court...).

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany