Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 1995 12:31:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@txdirect.net>
To:        "Question@FreeBSD.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Hello all

Hello all,

I'm back from South Eastern Alabama.  I had my machine running the
whole time I was gone, picking up mail, news, web serving, recieving
faxes and running some HEAVY time-series analysis.

It worked like a charm for 23 days unattended! (205R)
I believe a toast is in order,  "DAMN good job, gentlemen!"
(I doubt that SunOS 4.1.3 would have fared as well)

I only had 2 problems:

1) I called in to check and see "Is paper comming out of the printer
at around 9:30pm?".  One time my girlfriend answered (no).  Hmm, Is the
printer on? (yes)  Ok, turn the monitor on.  (it wont)  Hmm, are the
little lights on the front of the big box on the floor on? (no)

(slight panic, UPS failure? nope.  Power supply died? nope.
Unplugged? nope.  Turns out my dog got curious and hit the power switch
with his nose!!!)

2) On my return, yesterday, I found my console window had the following
messages in it.

Nov  2 17:05:41 oasis last message repeated 4 times
Nov  2 20:16:57 oasis /kernel: file: table is full
Nov  2 20:16:58 oasis last message repeated 28 times
Nov  2 20:18:43 oasis last message repeated 54 times
Nov  2 23:14:12 oasis /kernel: file: table is full

How would I avoid this problem in the future?

(The second problem that is.  I had Melissa affix a suitable piece of
cardboard over the power switch with liberal amounts of duct tape to
solve the first  :-)  )

Rob Snow                                            Powered by FreeBSD
rsnow@txdirect.net                              http://www.freebsd.org