Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 08:19:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au (Daniel O'Connor), current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA), mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Subject:   Re: vga driver and signal

It seems Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Just trying to prevent dragging the whole X server to the kernel --
> Actually dragging the whole X server to the kernel is not a bad
> idea --- however it is something that I can not afford to do right now :(

Ahh, horror, Terry's old idea is coming back again :)

Seriously, you need (at least) all the code that deals with the videoHW
on the interrupt in the kernel, there is no way to get this to userland
reliably and without significant delay. This will drag in most off the
ddx layer I'm afraid, so its really not practical.

Lets step back for a moment, this is clearly the wrong solution to
everything, what exactly is it you want to do or want to accomplish??
Lets see if we can come up with another way of doing that...

-Søren