Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:56:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UDF (DVD fs)

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Julian Elischer wrote:
> > I am working on UDF support.
> > I have at present a program that reads a udf filesystem
> > and am working (today) on making it into an "mtools" like
> > program that allows access to the contents in a useful manner.
> >
> > I will eventually turn this into a  (readonly) filesystem, and it
> > is designed with that in mind (it uses a buffer cache etc, like
> > the kernel.  (in other words I'm prototyping).
> >
> > I will at some stage also try make a UDF creation module for mkisofs
> > as well.
>
> Uhm, the real value of UDF is that it can be used as a "real" rw
> filesystem on CDRW/DVDRAM media, if this is not implemented the
> value of having UDF is very limited IMHO....

Another value of UDF is interoperability with the redmond virii which
don't recognize 2.2 GB 9660 file systems.  I have to duplicate 4.x GB of
mpeg2 files onto 30+ copies of DVD-ram, and being able to do it as UDF
instead of having to format UDF on an NT box and copying the files before
duping a disk image would save me at least one headache:)

--- David