Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:40:50 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Artem Belevich <fbsdlist@src.cx>
Cc:        sub.mesa@gmail.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>, dan.naumov@gmail.com, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, wonslung@gmail.com, bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.0-RELEASE/amd64 - full ZFS install - low read and write disk performance

Artem Belevich wrote:
> aoc-sat2-mv8 was somewhat slower compared to ICH9 or LSI1068
> controllers when I tried it with 6 and 8 disks.
> I think the problem is that MV8 only does 32K per transfer and that
> does seem to matter when you have 8 drives hooked up to it. I don't
> have hard numbers, but peak throughput of MV8 with 8-disk raidz2 was
> noticeably lower than that of LSI1068 in the same configuration. Both
> LSI1068 and MV2 were on the same PCI-X bus. It could be a driver
> limitation. The driver for Marvel SATA controllers in NetBSD seems a
> bit more advanced compared to what's in FreeBSD.

I also wouldn't recommend to use Marvell 88SXx0xx controllers now. While
potentially they are interesting, lack of documentation and numerous
hardware bugs make existing FreeBSD driver very limited there.

> I wish intel would make cheap multi-port PCIe SATA card based on their
> AHCI controllers.

Indeed. Intel on-board AHCI SATA controllers are fastest from all I have
tested. Unluckily, they are not producing discrete versions. :(

Now, if discrete solution is really needed, I would still recommend
SiI3124, but with proper PCI-X 64bit/133MHz bus or built-in PCIe x8
bridge. They are fast and have good new siis driver.

--
Alexander Motin