Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 10:42:07 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, ache@freebsd.org, peter@freebsd.org
Cc:        Wei Dai <weidai@eskimo.com>
Subject:   ncurses.h and #define trace _nc_trace

The following change to /usr/include/ncurses.h which adds a
  #define trace _nc_trace
causes problems with our Wine port and probably further software:

  1.1.1.3 (vendor branch) Wed May 24 10:44:45 2000 UTC by peter
  CVS Tags: v5_0_19991023, HEAD; Branch: NCURSES

  Bring in the fix for the trace/_nc_trace issue, without breaking the
  vendor branching.  The author has fixed this also so we can do this
  safely.

  1.1.1.2.2.1 Tue May 23 13:42:17 2000 UTC by ache
  Branch: RELENG_4

  MFC: trace -> _nc_trace

For example, consider the following snippet:

  void _nc_trace() { }
  #define trace _nc_trace

  main() {
   long trace=0;

   if( &trace != &_nc_trace )
       printf("Okay\n");
   }

As another example, consider Wine, where this change causes:

  ../libwine.so: undefined reference to `__GET_DEBUGGING__nc_trace'

  due to a new interaction with the TRACE macro in debugtools.h.

  http://cvs.winehq.com/cvsweb/wine/include/debugtools.h?rev=1.9 has
  the source of that Wine include file.

In my opinion, we either have to show that the code in Wine is in
violation of ANSI/ISO C, or find a way to fix ncurses.

How about adding a stub instead of a #define? Performance really
shouldn't be an issue in this case!

Gerald