Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 06:39:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user-mode nfs daemon

In this vein has anyone seen ZipMagic for Win95/NT?

Makes all your compressed files look like directories.

Its s00per nifty.

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Stephen McKay wrote:
> Ah, yes, but the user mode one would be so much easier to change.  No need
> for continuous build/reboot/login cycles.  Once you have a user mode NFS
> server, you can tweak it to be a compressed file system, a crypto file system,
> or even an ftp converter.  I think it would be cool to just do:
>
> $ cd /ftp/ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD
> $ ls -l
> $ more README
>
> I think a user mode NFS server could become a hotbed of interesting
> development.  All sorts of border-line-insane file system ideas could
> be explored with little danger to your kernel, and hence the rest of
> your file systems.  What was that recent thread about a "tar" file system?
> Could scotty be interfaced with an NFS server to produce a file system of
> SNMP data?  Could the DNS be similarly mapped?  A special exploded CVS
> view where every release tree and every file revision is available for
> instant examination with ls, more, diff, wc, or whatever.
>
> All crazy, but kind of interesting.  Maybe some are even useful.
>
> Stephen.

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/