Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:35:55 -0800
From:      "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multicast problem with sis interface?

OK, here is the official answer:

4.2.3.3 Minimum frame size

The CSMA/CD Media Access mechanism requires that a minimum frame
length of minFrameSize  bits be transmitted. If frameSize is less than
minFrameSize,
then the CSMA/CD MAC sub layer shall append extra bits in units of octets,
after
the end of the MAC client data field but prior to calculating, and appending,
the
FCS. The number of extra bits shall be sufficient to ensure that the frame,
from the
DA field through the FCS field inclusive, is at least minFrameSize  its.
The content of the pad is unspecified.

The most important part of course is that last sentence "The content of the pad
is unspecified."

I guess we can forget the patch then ;-)

That's what I get for not reading the spec first.

Later,
George

--
George V. Neville-Neil                                  gnn@neville-neil.com
NIC:GN82

"Those who would trade liberty for temporary security deserve neither"
						- Benjamin Franklin