Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 10:27:53 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD, GPL, the world today. (fwd)

At 11:22 AM 5/13/99 -0500, Chris Costello wrote:

 >  The solution to the problem of 'Black Hats' exploiting open
>source software before 'White Hats' can fix it is to learn how to
>code properly.

The problem is that open source is a volunteer effort, and skills
vary widely. The tools must be built so as to prevent the errors
from occurring in the first place, at least inasmuch as possible.
There SHOULD NOT BE an sprintf() function in the C library,
for example. In fact, I'll go farther and say that strings and
arrays terminated by sentinels should be removed from computer
languages.

>   If they did enough testing (I believe buffer
>overflow, formatting "bugs", etc), the problem would be much
>smaller.

Quality must be built in, not tested in.

--Brett Glass