Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:53:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        veldy@visi.com (Thomas Veldhouse)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CMD640 and ATA drivers

It seems Thomas Veldhouse wrote:
> Are there any plans to support the buggy CMD640 interface in the future
> now that 4.0-RELEASE has come and gone?  I have a box that is running 3.4
> happily, and it has this interface.  I really would like the chance to use
> some of the 4.0 features, but I can not while support for this interface
> lacks.
>
> Right now, the code does identify the controller and give a warning about
> a buggy interface.  It then proceeds to choke and die on the CD-ROM probe.
> I will gladly post more accurate details (I have already in the past) if
> such support will eventually be [re]added.

It worked until the latest newbus changes, I'm looking at it, but havn't
found anything obvious yet.
But seriously you want to get another ATA interface, the CMD640 is
_broken_ and no software can help that, you are playing russian
roulette with your data. Get a promise, abit or siig controller
and use that instead...

-Søren