Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:23:31 +0900
From:      Eitarou Kamo <e-kamo@trio.plala.or.jp>
To:        David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Article on Sun's DTrace

Hi,

David Schultz wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 30, 2004, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
>

>>This recently caught my eye:
>>http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9171/sam0406h/0406h.htm
>>
>>There are a number of good sounding suggestions in there.
>>

>DTrace is pure magic.  It would be well worth your time to install
>Solaris 10 just to try out DTrace for a day.  Keep in mind,
>however, that it took them several man-years to develop just for
>sparc64 and x86, so we're not talking about a port of it any time
>soon...

See also,

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/dtrace/

I haven't seen above well yet. But A article says that DTrace sounds
like 30,000 lines of debug print. I have written about 50 lines
of debug print in my 4.10-R kernel to chase my umass issue.
If the output of it exists on a trace log file, It may be one of
DTrace feature. I saw the some sort of debug print lines in the
kernel source of 4.10-R. If you enable them and gather the information
to a file, it may be nearly equal DTrace. But I can't warrant or guarantee
you the performance. DTrace may be a kinda elegant debug mode
kernel, I guess.

Eitarou

--

***********************
	Eitarou Kamo

	Tel. +81 75 7035997
	Fax  +81 75 7035997
	VoIP   050 10585997(domestic only)
e-mail   e-kamo@trio.plala.or.jp

For business:
Feel free to mail me(above), please.

Donation   http://www.PayPal.Com

GPG FingerPrint:
032D FDF9 D27B 23F7 9A81 BF4C 626C FBAA BC3A 9895