Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 2015 00:01:18 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stop using a SATA drive

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 07:45:45 -0400, Quartz wrote:
> I believe Chris was looking for an equivalent command (or equivalent to
> 'diskutil eject foo' at any rate). OSX was based on FreeBSD originally,
> so the underlying concept should be possible. Is there no port or
> package that can provide this functionality?

That would surely be possible if the device in question
would implement a proper reaction to the "eject" command.
If it does, and how it does it, is up to the manufacturer.
Let's say you send the "eject" command to the drive - the
firmware then says goodbye to the host - the device file
disappears. That would be a possibility. For optical
devices, the "eject" (as well as the "load") command
usually controls the slider for the media, without affecting
the presence of the device file.

See "man camcontrol" for details.

--
Polytropon