Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:57:37 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD software [was Re: The Bazaar part II]

Hi!

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 10:34:38PM +0530, Haikal Saadh wrote:

> I would imagine, no.
> freshmeat.net offers a ports tree similar to our 'proper' ports tree, for
> the benefit of our linux using  brethren. I think it would just a matter of
> getting someone to adapt the makefiles to freeBSD.

I imagine it would be more than just modifyng some Makefiles to get
this done... as I see it (I am a -STABLE user) we need a lot of catch-up
work if we want to compile and run the latest Linux apps on FBSD. (Binary
compatibility is rather good now.) The fact that we do not have all the
libraries the current linux distros have (at least in -STABLE we still are
at the level of RH 5.x which becomes quickly outdated.) makes porting hard.
Also in Linux development is much more individualistic there is nothing to bar
somebody from
using stuff from wherever using includes, libraries etc as they choose.
That is why before downloading a Linux app you always have to check very
carefully the sysreqs. That is why you often have to upgrade the gcc or libc
just because of a new app that requests this. This leads to very nasty
problems with key components getting out of sync and a frequent need for
tricks and tips to keep the thing going. This is almost a non-issue with FBSD
if you are tracking -STABLE in reasonable intervals, you likely have everything
you need. Maybe that is why we have fewer 'insider tips'?

I even have seen Linux progs that would only compile against a particular
revision of a library from a CVS repository. I do not think this heterogenity
fits in well
with our practice. The "problem" if you wanna have it that way is not new:
What already *is* implemented in BSD tends to work solidly and is developed
until it reaches a great degree of maturity. But this approach obviously
makes it quite impossible to track every new trend and make it conform to
our ideals. We chose perfection over speed, that's it.

Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM