Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:27:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, Matt Behrens <matt@megaweapon.zigg.com>, imap-uw@freebsd.ady.ro, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: imap-uw security hole -- please update port

> > Personally, I prefer the Cyrus IMAP server.  Among other things, once
> > it has bound to the privileged IMAP port, it gives up root permission.
> > Aall deliveries are also run as a specific unprivileged user.  This
> > drasticly reduces the severity of any potential security holes.
>
>  Let's not start a IMAP war, OK ? I'll do whatever it takes to secure the
> port and after that I'll be glad to chat with you about this (I always
> wanted to give it shot to cyrus-imap, but it always happened that I
> couldn't build it for various reasons).

I have no intention of starting an IMAP war.  However, I do like to
occasionally remind folks that imap-uw isn't the only option; and that
the Cyrus architecture does have certain advantages in many situations.

The trade-off is that you no longer have the traditional unix system
mail folders.  (This could be construed as a feature...)  For my needs,
the increased security and 'virtual user' capability far outweighed
the desire for compatability with MUAs that haven't kept up with the
times.  But then, I didn't have a bunch of old-timers hanging around
to complain that their favorite tool doesn't work any more.  (Well,
only the one.  And I managed to twist his[my] arm till he[I] agreed. :-)

-Pat