Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 10:02:31 -0500
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   merging current's jail functionality to stable

Hello everyone,

I have backported Poul-Henning Kamp's jail functionality to 3.3-STABLE
(see http://www.nectar.com/freebsd/jail.html for the patches, man
pages, and a short description of jail) at the request of several
users.  I intend to commit these to -STABLE in the near future, but
PHK brought up a concern.

These patches change the interface of suser(9).  All uses of
suser in the source tree have been updated, but 3rd-party KLDs,
at least, would be broken by this change.

I don't use any 3rd-part KLDs.  I'd like to hear from folks who do.

As I see it, there are these options:
  = Damn the binary compatibility.  Go ahead and commit it.
    Inform any known vendors about the change and encourage
    them to make the trivial updates needed.
  = Wrap these changes with ``options JAIL''.  There are over
    130 files that would need ``#ifdef JAIL'' as it is.  This
    could be reduced, but any way you slice it, a lot of pollutant
    would have to be introduced.
  = Don't commit it, it is too much trouble.
  = Use magic on the 3rd-party KLDs so that calls of suser are
    folded to suser_xxx.  This can't be perfect, because we'll
    lose the accounting info parameter, but it might be better
    than breaking the binary.

This latter option is very intriguing to me.  I currently lack clue
about KLDs however.  I'll look at them this weekend.

Any feedback would be welcome!

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org