Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:02:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Viren R.Shah <viren@rstcorp.com>
Subject:   Re: IDE drive recommendations?

On 29-Mar-99 The Classiest Man Alive wrote:
> I've had decent experiences with IBM, Maxtor, and Quantum drives (in order
> starting with the best).  They all seem to make pretty good workstation
> components, although I'd ask around on long-term reliability if you're
> planning on using these drives in a server.  (Of course, the response
> you'll probably get around here is "Use SCSI instead." :-/ )

You sure don't wanna use one in a news server :)   For a desktop or low to
medium traffic server (office duty and/or not too busy web and mail server)
an IDE should be fine.  I just installed the 7200RPM IBM 10.1GB drive in a
customer's machine so I can't guess on how well it's gonna hold up but I've
abused IBM drives in the past.  This one set up quickly under 3.1-RELEASE
from the CD's.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2