Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:28:19 -0700
From:      "Cerebus" <cerebus@mindspring.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   A question of ports

Hi gang.

Here's the situation:  Let's say there's a program out there that's at
version 1.5 but the version in the ports tree is 1.0.  What's the best way
to get the latest version?  Should I just wait for it to be updated in the
ports tree, or is it okay to download it and install it myself?
Furthermore, would it be best to throw it into the dists directory and try
to make install as normal, or should I try and compile it by hand?

In all actuality, I'd like to have the latest Enlightenment and Gnome stuff
but the tarballs in the tree are a bit behind schedule.  What's the best way
to stay up-to-date?  (Or should I just go completely mad and hang out in the
CVS for 'em?)

Thanks in advance!
R.
---
{ in fact, this is twice in a row
{ that the angels have slipped through our landslide
{ and filled up our garden with snow