Date:      Tue, 19 Apr 2016 09:28:01 -0700
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>, freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)
References:  <20160302235429.GD75641@FreeBSD.org> <57152CE5.5050500@FreeBSD.org> <9D4B9C8B-41D7-42BC-B436-D23EFFF60261@ixsystems.com> <20160418191425.GW1554@FreeBSD.org> <571533B8.6090109@freebsd.org> <20160418194010.GX1554@FreeBSD.org> <57153E80.4080800@FreeBSD.org> <571551AB.4070203@freebsd.org> <5715772A.3070306@freebsd.org> <571588BB.2070803@orthanc.ca> <201604190201.u3J216NQ054020@orthanc.ca> <5715968B.303@orthanc.ca> <5715A338.5060009@freebsd.org>

Well, this discussion has gone pretty far off of the rails. I am of
course happy to make a patch that cuts this down to 10 packages, but
that's not something that should be committed without agreement -- which
we obviously don't have. It would have been good to have had meaningful
discussion of this before.

There are basically three workable options:
1. Have fewer packages. This is easy to implement and preserves the
integrity of the base system (as well as unified versioning so that a
system at some particular patch level will have the same global state).
I have not seen any meaningful downside suggested to this so far except
for marginally higher load on update servers.
2. Have 755 packages. This makes it harder to version the system and
makes the user interface significantly worse (my opinion, but shared by
others). This is the easiest to implement since it is already implemented.
3. Have ~10 meta packages that just depend on sets of the 755 packages
and hide the internal details. This gives the user experience of (1)
with the implementation of (2), and is marginally more complex than either.

Other things (the overlapping packages idea, for instance) are way too
complex and will just lead to breakage. Can anyone provide an argument
against (1) or, alternatively, for (2)? (2) seems to add a lot of
complexity for no clear gain and I remain pretty confused about why it
was chosen.
-Nathan