Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2016 01:12:43 +0100
From:      "Herbert J. Skuhra" <herbert@mailbox.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel does not respect KERNCONF or JOBS in /etc/make.conf

Kevin Oberman skrev:
> =

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 1:16 AM, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wr=
ote:
>> On 12/12/2016 09:07, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>> =

>>> My question is, do you build modules redundantly, or just once?
>>> I don't want to build the same modules more than once.
>>> =

>> =

>> For me - redundantly, I guess. It's not like it takes a lot of time =
or
>> space on the compiling machine, and I ensure that everything that ne=
eds to
>> be built, is built.
>> =

>> PUMPKIN =3D heavily modified config with all the stuff I don't need =
stripped
>> out, and a couple of non-default lines.
>> =

>> GENERIC =3D unmodified kernel that should work if by some chance PUM=
PKIN
>> doesn't.
>> --
>> J.
> =

> =

> Clearly the documentation is a bit behind the times. For some time pe=
ople
> have used KERNCONF to build multiple kernels, but that was a lucky th=
ings
> that was not officially supported. It just happened to work. Then, wi=
th
> 11.0, it no longer did in many cases sue to changes in the kernel bui=
ld
> system. When people complained, there did not seem to be a way to fix=
 this
> without blocking future goals in speeding up and enhancinghte standar=
> kernel build.
> =

> The result was BUILDKERNELS. It was specifically designed to allow th=
> building of multiple kernels and the appropriate modules. This would =
always
> take longer and use more disk space, but it would work reliably. Now,=
 bit
> building a single, local kernel, KERNCONF is the best way, though I s=
uspect
> that it make only a small difference until new capabilities are added=
 later
> in the life of 11.
> =

> So, while it seems the man pages need to catch up, building multiple
> kernels should be done with KERNCONF in either make.conf or src.conf =
and
> multiple kernels with BUILDKERNELS.

???

From=20/usr/src/Makefile.inc1:

   1137 .if ${TARGET_ARCH} =3D=3D "powerpc64"
   1138 KERNCONF?=3D      GENERIC64
   1139 .else
   1140 KERNCONF?=3D      GENERIC
   1141 .endif
   [...]
   1151 .if defined(NO_INSTALLKERNEL)
   1152 # All of the BUILDKERNELS loops start at index 1.
   1153 BUILDKERNELS+=3D dummy
   1154 .endif
   1155 .for _kernel in ${KERNCONF}
   1156 .if exists(${KERNCONFDIR}/${_kernel})
   1157 BUILDKERNELS+=3D  ${_kernel}
   1158 .if empty(INSTALLKERNEL) && !defined(NO_INSTALLKERNEL)
   1159 INSTALLKERNEL=3D ${_kernel}
   1160 .endif
   1161 .endif
   1162 .endfor