Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:15:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CMD640b workaround - final(?) version

----- Forwarded message from helbig -----

To: se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:11:58 +0100 (MET)

Stefan Esser wrote

> > > BTW: I do heavily dislike the way you introduced the PCI
> > > ID of the CMD640 into pci.c, and will not accept it!
> > >
> > > There is NO device specific code in pci.c for a reason!
> >
> > BTW: My solution is simpler. For a reason!
> > I do heavily dislike complicated code if there is a simpler way!
>
> Well, and believe in layering, to make it easy to deal with
> complex situations. (The world happens to be complex at times.)
>
> For that reason, there will not be a test for a particular
> PCI device ID in the device independent PCI code.
>
> > Do whatever you want with it, I will accept it!
>
> Well, I don't have any way to test the WD driver, since I
> do not own any (E)IDE drives. It is trivial to add a clean
> CMD640 probe/attach, and it will add only a few instructions
> over the code you suggested.

Ok, I will try to understand the way you want the change to be made
and then try to implement it.

In the meantime I do hope someone will test my "final" version.
What still needs to be tested is the case where you have pci and
IDE devices on both channels and *no* CMD640b chip, with and w/o the
options "CMD640" - line in the kernel configuration file. Preferably in
the GENERIC kernel.

Thanx!!

----- End of forwarded message from helbig -----