Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 18:26:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        rich@rich.isdn.bcm.tmc.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Mathematica for Linux in standalone mode

Chuck Robey writes:
 > I have the student (Linux) version working fine under FreeBSD-current,
 > but I have never run 2.1.0, so I don't know what limitations it has.
 > I've never seen the error (General::codespace: Code space corrupted) that
 > you did.

I think I've solved my own problem (which was of my own making), and
I now have the full version of Mathematica 2.2.4 for Linux working
under 2.1R with a few minor hacks to the linux emulator.

My problem was that I'd attempted to emulate the linux SIOCGIFHWADDR &
done a very poor job of it.  This was apparently corrupting
Mathematica.  Basically, the ioctl is supposed to return a pointer to
a Linux ifreq struct & I was passing it a pointer to an array of
chars.  Once I cleaned this up, my problems went away.  I'll be happy
to pass my solution on to anybody who wants/needs it, but if you're
just trying to get the standalone version of Mathematica going, you
can safely ignore the missing ioctl & all should be fine.

I also want to thank Chuck Robley & Rich Murphey for the help they
sent me.  It was much appreciated.

Drew