Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 20:34:09 -0700
From:      Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pencil mark on 3c509????

Spike wrote:

> What I infer from the man page is that there is an place on the card on
> which you may write with a pencil in order to make the card go in to "test
> mode". This is probably a part of the card which reacts to the
> electromagnetic properties of graphite, the main ingredient of pencil
> lead. This sounds plausible, since I know that the machines that read
> fill-in-the-bubble multiple choice tests operate in a similar fashion.

Heh, I figured that part out; graphite's a (poor) conductor, drawing a
line at the appropriate place would toss a resistive connection in where
there hadn't been one before.  Question is, where is this "test area"?
I'm looking at a 3c509 as I type, and there's only one place I can see
that could be a candidate:  Just below the boot EPROM socket, there's a
little box with two solder pads, one (as far as I can tell) attached to
the ground plane, the other to a small resistor (R8, to be precise).
It's not mentioned in any 3C509 docs I've ever seen.  Guess I'll just
have to try it and see.  First time I've ever heard of a board designed
for connect-the-dots, though :-).

      Dann "What next, electronic fingerpainting?" Lunsford