Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:43:47 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>, freebsd general questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Easiest desktop BSD distro

--On March 29, 2011 2:23:48 PM -0700 Chip Camden
<sterling@camdensoftware.com> wrote:

> Quoth William Brown on Wednesday, 30 March 2011:

>> > To each their own, but I wouldn't want a system that Paris Hilton could
>> > handle any more than I'd want a vehicle that a four-year-old can drive.
>>
>> There is something to be said for the keep it simple principle however.
>>
> Yes, but "keep it simple" need not mean "do everything for you."  Often,
> a simpler design means more choices, and more choices means more
> responsibility and more steps to completion.

I totally agree.  However, there are different degrees of choices.  For
example, an installer that says, "Now it's time to partition your disk.  Go
do that, and when you finish, I'll return you to this screen for the next
step." is demonstrably different from one that says, "Now it's time to
partition your disk.  Would you like me to use these displayed defaults?
Or would you like to make your own decisions?"  Then, once you've selected
option 2 it says, "What would you like to name this partition? (note, you
MUST have a root partition, represented by "/".

The former is not "user friendly".  The latter is more so.  Yes, you can go
to the Handbook and read about partitions, and you can google about them
and learn more, but the first time you install FreeBSD and you're staring
at that screen, it's daunting for some folks.

It might even be useful to have an initial screen that offers options such
as "Experienced User, Minimal Prompts", "Familiar User, Additional Prompts
and "First Time User, Walk me through it step by step."

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst