Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:57:20 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1-R panic

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Mark Powell wrote:

> I need some help determining why a machine is panicing. Specifically,
> whether it's FreeBSD or the hardware that's causing it. I really want to
> bring in FreeBSD as the OS of choice to provide our core services, but
> this is really hurting my cause.

{...}

I can't really help with your problem directly, however...

I've noticed a few references to stability problems with 3.0R and to a
much lesser extent 3.1R.  The only way I can think of to isolate whether
it is a hardware vs OS issue would be to install 2.2.8 (or even 2.2.7 if
CDs are handy) which are known to be extremely stable and reliable.
2.2.7R has been nearly bulletproof for me.

I note that the FreeBSD web page still lists both 2.2.8 _and_ 3.1 as
"current" releases, from which I infer that there is still the odd rough
edge in 3.x to be polished off.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia