Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2007 03:47:53 -0800
From:      Jeffrey Williams <jeff@sailorfej.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jails and multple interfaces

Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 January 2007 11:40, Jeffrey Williams wrote:
>> Milan Obuch wrote:

>>> Why are you doing this? Are your addresses from the same network segment?
>>> I am binding my jail addresses to loopback interface and route them -
>>> this way you could easily start take-over jail on another machine and
>>> change routing table (or use dynamic routing) to minimize downtime on
>>> hardware upgrades, big OS upgrades etc. I do not consider this the best
>>> way, but it just satisfy my needs.
>>> Regards,
>>> Milan
>> I want to segregate the jail and jail host traffic on separate interfaces.
>>

> What do you mean with segregate? Why do you need them going through two
> physical interfaces? Maybe I just can't see my nose between eyes, but I do
> not understand the purpose of doing so.
The server acting as jail host, is also acting as a freebsd build
server, a subversion server for the developer source code repositories,
and will have a lot of continuous network traffic.

The jailed servers are for testing of web applications, which will
frequently include network load/bandwidth testing, and network captures.

To keep the web app testing clean of the hosting server's network
activity I want all the jailed servers to use the second interface,
while the hosting server's network traffic stays on the primary
interface.  And I have this part working, all the jailed servers ip
addresses are configured on the second interface, and the hosting
server's IP routing table shows that it is only using the primary
interface/IP address, for all its IP traffic.

My only concern, and what I was hoping to get more information on, is
whether there are any potential problems with having two active ethernet
interfaces on the same network segment, e.g. arp issues, etc.