Date:      Tue, 04 Dec 2001 17:51:01 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Virus scanners (was RE: Hi (off-topic))

At 04:29 PM 12/4/2001 -0600, Chuck Rock wrote:
>It's the same as saying if you can't protect your own equipment then stop
>using a computer.
>
>I think you should quit blaming the admins. A lot of people got this virus
>even though they had virus scanners in place. Sometimes sh*t happens. Deal
>with it.

Especially since this particular virus propagation has been very fast.  In
order to block it with NAI's product I had to use the extra.dat file as
they have yet to release the production .dat file that has the
signature.  Combine that with the fact that many non tech people think that
because a company has a virus scanner in place, an attachment is
automatically safe to open....

         ---Mike