Date:      Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:32:28 +0000
From:      Anton Ivanov <ai1@ipaccess.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Incomplete Documentation??

Bill Moran wrote:

> Pratt, Benjamin E. wrote:
>
>> Hello -
>>
>> I'm writing in regards to the FreeBSD Handbook section "VPN over IPsec"
>> found at
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ipsec.html.
>>
>> It seems to me the documentation is incomplete and I'm just writing to
>> verify this.  My reasons for believing the documentation is incomplete
>> are:
>>
>> 1) "This article presents a number of scenarios, and strategies for
>> implementing a VPN for each scenario."
>>
>>     I only see one scenario for implementing a VPN.
>>
>> 2) "3. Configure additional software on the FreeBSD gateways, to allow
>> Windows machines to see one another across the VPN."
>>
>>     I see the first two "stages" of implementing the first scenario
>> but not the third.
>

> Oddly enough, I'm seeing the exact same thing in my quest to understand
> IPsec. ;)
>
>> I came to the handbook, which has been incredibly helpful in many other
>> instances, to try to find out how to create an IPsec VPN between an end
>> user's machine, running either Windows 2000/XP or FreeBSD, and a remote
>> network, as would be done in a traveling user, remote access from home,
>> or wireless security scenario.  I'm sure many others have set this up
>> but the first place I go to for FreeBSD documentation is the handbook.
>

> http://www.sigsegv.cx/FreeBSD-WIN2K-IPSEC-HOWTO.html
>
> Seems pretty good.

It is a bit out of date. Frankly, I need to go through it and update it
with some recent info. Also, I have some more info around on interfacing
to FW1, cisco and other systems, just have not had time to properly
compile it.

> Is there any reason why this couldn't be incorporated into the handbook?
> If a committer will back me up (with a promise to commit ;), I'll do the
> legwork of converting it to docbook (as well as some editing ...)

I think it is also more of a question of maintaining it. I think you
should ask the maintainers for the poptop, mpd and racoon ports if they
will be willing to look (at least to some extent) after their sections.

Cheers,

A.

--
A. R. Ivanov