Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 00:39:20 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Joshua Holland <josh@bitstream.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mount root fail

In message <p05001908b7fa4d0de8ff@[10.0.1.100]>, Joshua Holland writes:
>first disk is now being recognized as ad6.  I can only mount it as
>read only now (ufs:ad6s1a), and I can't run fsck, which is still
>looking for ad4.  I can't change fstab since it's ro.  Also, ad6 is
>not in /dev (nor the second disk, which is ad10).  What's going on?
>Why did ad4 become ad6?  Is there a way to get it back to ad4?

A useful trick to mount a root filesystem read-write when you don't
have a device for it in /dev is to create a device node on a small
MFS filesystem. e.g:

	# mount_mfs -T fd1440 none /mnt
	# cd /mnt
	# sh /dev/MAKEDEV ad6s1a
	# fsck /mnt/ad6s1a
	# mount -u -o rw /mnt/ad6s1a /
	# cd /dev
	# sh MAKEDEV ad6s1a

Then you can fsck and mount other filesystems, and fix the broken
/etc/fstab entries.

Ian