Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 20:15:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        eng30219@leonis.nus.sg (Gong Wei)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 16 bpp X server?

Gong Wei wrote...

> Hi all of you there:
>
> Just a general question about X, last time I rebuild XF86-312 for
> FreeBSD2.1.0.  Everything is fine, the resulting server is faster than
> XF86_SVGA because only cirrus devices are configured.
>
> The machine I am using is Pentium 75 with 8M Ram.  The video card is
> clgd5434 with 1M video ram.  I've tried to let the server to run at 16 bpp
> mode, but finally failed:-( Actually I am quite satisfy with 8 bpp screen,
> just want to learn some more, so I tried to modify /etc/XF86Config, try to
> recompile X server, try to read man pages, X docs...  And finally I think
> it's time to shout loudly around the net. 8-)

Did you read /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.cirrus? :-)

According to this you'll be limited to 800x600 virtual screen size.

I have a CLGD5434 (on the PCI bus), My XF86Config has this:

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "Cirrus Logic GD543x"
    Monitor     "CTX"
    Subsection "Display"
	Depth       8
# Omit the Modes line for the "Generic VGA" device
	Modes       "1280x1024"
	ViewPort    0 0
	# Use Virtual 320 200 for Generic VGA
	Virtual     1280 1024
	option      "no_bitblt"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
	Depth       16
	Modes       "1024x768"
	ViewPort    0 0
	Virtual     1152 900
#        Option "no_bitblt"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
	Depth       32
	Modes       "640x480" "800x600"
	ViewPort    0 0
	Virtual     800 600
    EndSubsection
EndSection

But the _really_ important bit is:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Cirrus Logic GD543x"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    VideoRam    2048
    option      "mmio"
    option      "linear"
# Device section for Cirrus Logic GD5430/34-based cards.
    MemBase 0xf8000000          # PCI card that maps to 2560Mb
EndSection

Note that I have 2Meg of memory on my card.  If your card is on the PCI
bus, use the 'scanpci' program to find the MemBase address.  The linear option
and associated address are REQUIRED for 16bpp - that's probably why yours
doesn't work...

By the way, what did you do to strip down the server - it sounds like a
good idea.

Regards,

John
--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key