Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 15:42:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with Creative Labs IDE CD

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Mark Newton wrote:
> I have a Creative Labs Infra 3600 CD-ROM (at least, that's what it says
> on the front panel) which has just replaced an aging 12x IDE CD.  I'm
> having trouble playing audio discs.

I have one of these as well. I can start playing audio cd's with cdcontrol
without problem, but then they occasionaly skip to some random place on
the cd at random times. It doesn't happen under windows 95.

I don't know to what extent it's the driver or the cdrom, I've lost faith
in creative labs, my last drive was creative labs as well and the DAC
burnt out so it no longer plays audio either.

> Now, here's the funny bit:  if I use the MSF stuff in cdcontrol/wcd
> by issuing a command like "play 0:1" instead of "play 1" then it works
> just fine;  It's only the ATAPI_PLAY_BIG command that this CD-ROM drive
> has a problem with (which fits the error messages above;  I'm just
> pointing out that where CDIOCPLAYBLOCKS fails CDIOCPLAYMSF succeeds).

Sounds to me like the same sort of problem, but mine seems to work okay
to start with ?!

> I do have an old kernel:  3.0-971006-SNAP from the 3.0-SNAP CD from
> October.  If you happen to know that this has been fixed I will accept
> "upgrade your kernel" as an answer.

I'm using current as of early december, I've had the problem since back
with a June snapshot, IIRC I don't think anything significant has changed
in atapi cd's for a while though.

	Steve.

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342