Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:08:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        david@aps-services.com, paul@originative.co.uk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: solid NFS patch #6 avail for -current - need testers files)

> > To sum it all up is there any difference between the branches?
>
> Yes.  We hope that people like you will help us by participating in the
> testing of potential releases _before_ they go out as releases, not
> _afterwards_.
>
> Sitting around doing nothing and then complaining after the fact
> doesn't help anyone, least of all yourself.

This isn't meant in a bad way, but let me share with you my experiences.

Before 3.0 was released, I said several times "Hey, NFS got a lot worse on
-CURRENT. Is anyone looking at this?" and got several replies of "Duh, this
is -CURRENT. Don't whine about it. If you're trying to use this in a
production environment, you're crazy."

After 3.0 was released, I said "Hey, 3.0 got released, and NFS was still
broken", to which I got "Why didn't you bug us about this before the
release?" and/or "Why didn't you test this before release?"

I understand NFS is a 'special' problem, but for those of us not in the
trenches coding, I think the '3-level' system would be better. -CURRENT for
those who are coding, -BETA for people like me to test things and bring up
what broke, and -RELEASE for everyone else.

I honestly don't know when to bring up things like that, now. :)

Kevin