Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:52:56 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org>, Tim Kellers <kellers@njit.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mailman: 403: browser access forbidden.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 01:14:50PM -0500, Greg Barniskis wrote:
> Tim Kellers wrote:
> >
> >On Monday 29 August 2005 01:20 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >>	I first set up mailman (with its web automation) last
> >>	December.  When I recently tried to send a test message
> >>	to my list, mailman spitout the old "reset configure with
> >>	daemon" gid. Which failed.  Eventually I reinstalled from
> >>	scratch.  Now, using lynx and "www.thought.org/mainman"
> >>	I'm getting:
> >>

> >>                                  Forbidden
> >>
> >>  You don't have permission to access /mailman/ on this server.
> [snip]
>

> >Does /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin have permissions that look like this?
> >
> ># ls -la /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin
> >total 200
> >drwxrwsr-x   2 root     mailman    512 Apr 25 14:17 .
> >drwxrwsr-x  20 mailman  mailman    512 Apr 25 14:16 ..
> >-rwxr-sr-x   1 root     mailman  17730 Apr 25 14:17 admin
> >-rwxr-sr-x   1 root     mailman  17734 Apr 25 14:17 admindb
> >
> >Tim
>
> Even with correct permissions, I think you get 403 if you ask for
> /mailman/ by itself, unless your Apache config allows automatic
> directory indexing, which of course it ought not on cgi-bin stuff.
>
> Try accessing some /mailman/<component>, e.g. /mailman/listinfo, and
> not just /mailman/ by itself.
>
> --
> Greg Barniskis, Computer Systems Integrator
> South Central Library System (SCLS)
> Library Interchange Network (LINK)
> <gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348

	YES!  This was the first time I've *not* tryed
	didn't expect the 403 err.

	Thanks much, both of you.  One more thing that may
	save me more time: Which text and html files can I
	edit (carefully), to insert the instruvtions to
	"Unsubscribe" by sending a simple email?  The
	-questions list has this as a footer.

	My users/subscribers will be sharp, but probably
	not geek-savvy.

	thanks again,

	gary

--