Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 22:08:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing boot?

As Doug Rabson wrote...
> On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> > NetBSD/Alpha Primary Boot
> > Jumping to entry point...
> >
> > halted CPU 0
> >
> > halt code = 5
> > HALT instruction executed
> > PC = 200017dc
> > >>>

> > I have the distinct feeling (somehow ;-) that I need to re-install the boot
> > blocks/bits but I seem to be too dim to get it right.
> >
> > Pointers on a how-to appreciated,
>
> You should be able to make the disk bootable by doing this:
>
> 	# disklabel -B /dev/da0c (or /dev/da1c etc.)

The problem is that this needs a FreeBSD disklabel, not a NetBSD one.
The only thing I can currently boot is a NetBSD install flop.
If I try to run the FreeBSD disklabel I get an error (bad system call ??
forgot the exact nature of the error).

> or maybe:
>
> 	# disklabel -B -b /usr/mdec/boot1 /dev/da0c
>
> Make sure that /boot/loader exists in the root partition of the disk being
> booted (installworld should have made it).

/boot/loader was there, but it was empty. If I understand correctly the
boot2 that FreeBSD built becomes /boot/loader. Correct? So, I put boot2
in /boot under the name loader

NetBSD natively uses:

$DONTDOIT /usr/mdec/installboot /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/bootxx \
/dev/r${drivename}c  (taken from the NetBSD install script) to install
the bootblocks. I tried to installboot a boot1 from FreeBSD in this way
but that does not seem to work, I still get the same error.
I admit that I don't know if that is even supposed to work at all :(
NetBSD's disklabel is different, it does not seem to be able to install
a bootblock like FreeBSD does.

So, I took another angle: grabbed kern.flp and mfsroot from FreeBSD
SNAP251198. Kern.flp boots OK, then asks for the MFSroot floppy. The .gz
of mfsroot is: 835517 Dec  3 21:11 mfsroot.gz Ungzipping and vnconfig gives:
/dev/vn0c        2839     2065      774    73%    /mnt

So: well over 1.44 Mb floppy size. Question: can the kernel use a gzipped
mfsroot?

Or what is the deal here (short of buying a jaz or netbooting)?

Suggestions? TIA,

Wilko