Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 02:28:27 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nato Web's site 8)

On 1 Apr 1999 08:06:19 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.misc you wrote:

>: It appears that Nato's web site is under intense attack like being pounded by
>: 2000 email messages per day.. Its got to be running Windows !!
>
>: http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2234899,00.html
>
>check this:
>http://www.microsoft.com/security/resources/NATOCaseStudy.asp
>
>and count 1+1. ;-)

What really gets me is the statement

"Our people can use and administer Windows NT [-based] systems with very
little training."

Why is it only in the IT realm, that people think like this

"I know how to point and click the mouse in Windows.  System Administration
and Network Administration just means pointing and clicking.  Therefore I
am a Network Administrator."... Yeah, point and click your way to
oblivion....

Its as if understanding what you are pointing and clicking on does not
matter.  No one would ever think "I know how to point and click the mouse
in Windows.  AccPac is a Windows program.  I can point and click in AccPac.
Therefore I am an Accountant"...

Also, the C2 level security stuff... I thought that was only for a stand
alone unit, and not in a networked environment.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada