From:      "Mark B. Withers" <mwithers@one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FBSD and X install- to upgrade or get latest?

Keith,

I do not know the answer to all of your questions, however I seem to
have noticed something about installing FreeBSD.

I too was a total newbie with BSD, however I have had 3 years
experience using Linux beforehand.

I noticed that with the installation of packages that it first
searches on the cd-rom, then attempts to download whatever is needed
from the internet.

Say for instance that I wanted to install pgp5 and move to the ports
directory and type "make". Lets assume also that I have the ports
cdrom in the cdrom drive.

Make will first search the cdrom drive, then it will attempt to
download the files it needs from the internet. What is not solely
specified is that all of the ports are not on 1 cd and make does not
ask you to put a specific cd in the cdrom drive.

Just one thing I have noticed. Otherwise I always make sure that I am
connected to the internet before installing anything.

You could try connecting to the internet, booting to the installation
disk and using ftp to install the latest version.

I would recommend downloading the installation first before attempting
to install it that way on another machine. Preferable BSD, but it
could also be Linux or Unix. I'm not sure if WindowsXXXX supports
running an ftp server.

Mark