Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 21:04:36 +0200
From:      "Samer, Michael, IN" <Michael.Samer@Ingolstadt.BERTRANDT.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-Mail)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cluster?!

Hello BSD Freaks,
after a long time of "seduction", I have the possibilty to solve a cute
little problem of my company:
we are using a porgram called pamcrash on an SGI Octane R12000 which tooks
appr. three weeks until it's finished calculating (matrix's!!!). But we're
getting more and more work for this program, and the only possibility to
solve it is to use more CPU's in this machine. My "inspiration" was to took
instead of spending 100.000 US$ in SGI for an 8 CPU version in a Alpha
Cluster (beginning with 4*Dual-Alpha 500) with NetBSD or FreeBSD machines.
The producer of PamCrash told me that there is an BSD version available. The
question is, how and if I can distribute this work to different machines
(via PVM (or as far as I remember sth. like CA....) to lower the calculation
time to one day by using more and more powerful machines). PamCrash is
splitt-able. Has anyone of you worked with PVM or whatever or with
distributed computing (apart from rsh)?
Does the software sees how many machines are working on the solution
(copyright problems, the licence is linked with the CPU ID), and how does it
work best together?
Is the Alpha SMP Version already running stable (V3.1-FBSD) or is NetBSD
better here? Does NBSD or FBSD already supporting the 21264 Alpha , known as
EV.6)? Is a F-Ethernet enough to cluster?
Does anyone have experience (on universities or research) with Cluster and
the efficency?
PLEASE MAil to me directely, because I'm just in my country FBSD
group/mailer.
sam.vanratt@gmx.net
or
michael.samer@ingolstadt.bertrandt.com