Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 11:30:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Question about RAID solutions

I'm just starting to look at this.  The only hardware option appears to
be dpt and then only for almost-obsolete modules.  Raid 5 for vinum
requires a license at present.  It may not be what you want.

I am currently configuring a Raid 10 system with 4 - 4.5 GB scsi ultra
drives.  That's two striped (0) and the two striped pairs mirrored (1).
That gives 100% increment in read speed (can read both simultaneously)
and redundancy (either pair continues to operate).  Drives have become so
cheap Raid 5 just doesn't make sense to me.  White paper suggests that
vinum will be considerably faster than Raid 5 hardware, too.

Seems easy to set up but as I say I am just starting to do it.  First I
have to figure out why my Adaptec 2940U doesn't work.

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio