Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:45:25 +0100
From:      Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>
To:        Marwan Fayed <s0121430@cs.laurentian.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disappearing mount points after install

Hello

[-mobile trimmed]

Marwan Fayed wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a seasoned UNIX user but have been using freebsd for only about 6
> months. I have posted this problem to freebsd-questions with no response
> so, figuring it must be a bug in the install program i'm going to try
> here. Oh, I would like to have traced the code to try to find the bug (if
> one exists) but being a senior year undergrad with a full course load and
> thesis, I have been left with little time... please forgive me.
>
> My problem is this. I am trying to install 3.3-R on an IBM Thinkpad 365XD
> (although I have received mail from a man in France who is having the same
> problem on a desktop). The installation runs completely smoothly but when
> I finish and reboot the machine reports no resident O.S.

This may be due to a faulty BIOS : some BIOSes do not like at all not
having a DOS partition at the beginning of the disk (I have some HP PCs
with just 20 Megs of FAT at the start of the disk to keep them booting -
from <F2>, which is FreeBSD)

> After trying many different things (including messing with the MBR, double
> and triple checking disk geometry, and using a Fixit disk to try to
> diagnose the problem), I booted from the install floppy to the main
> install menu.  Rather than re-install all over again for the nth time I
> just entered the label editor. The partitions were still there but the
> mount points were lost. What appeared was
> this:
>
> <none> 40M     // supposed to be root
>  swap  84M     // swap is obviously OK
> <none> 651M    // supposed to be /usr

The mount points for each partition are recorded in /etc/fstab : what
you are seeing is completely normal, as sysinstall has not read the
fstab file from the root partition of your disk.

> This is clearly not what I designated so I tried relabelling the mount
> points, writing the information using 'w' and exiting install only to have
> the BIOS report no O.S. yet again!

Try and leave a small DOS partition at the beginning of your disk, as
said above.

> The machine is a P100,40M ram,810HD, standard PCI (as far as I have been
> able to tell/test). Has anyone encountered this or know the problem?
>
> Thanks a TON!
>
> Marwan :-)

	TfH